UN confirms humanitarian aid to areas where ceasefire is respected in Sudan


File – Smoke on a street in Khartoum, Sudan – MOHAMED KHIDIR / XINHUA NEWS / CONTACT PHOTO

The US and Saudi Arabia speak of “increased respect” for the deal after Wednesday’s “serious violations”

MADRID, 26 May. (EUROPEAN PRESS) –

The United Nations stressed that humanitarian agencies are “acting” to “reach as many people as possible” in these areas of Sudan, where the ceasefire agreed between the Sudanese Army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) is respected.

UN Secretary-General spokesman Stéphane Dujarric announced that the World Food Program (WFP) has managed to deliver aid to more than half a million people in nine states since resuming food distributions three weeks ago.

Likewise, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) reported that around 20 trucks, supplied from the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM), set off from various points in the world. country.

“I want to highlight the impact of the conflicts on the humanitarian situation. According to UN agencies, six newborn babies died in a hospital in the city of Eldain in eastern Darfur last week due to various problems, including lack of oxygen and power outages,” said Dujarric.

In this sense, he reminded that the World Health Organization (WHO) reported that more than 30 newborns died in hospitals since the start of the conflict that started on April 15, due to disagreements between the Army and the RSF over reintegration. the second to the Armed Forces.

In recent days, the Army and RSF have accused each other of violating the ceasefire agreed in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, which included a monitoring mechanism attended by representatives of Saudi Arabia and the United States. The conflict has already left more than 700 dead, in addition to more than a million internally displaced people and refugees.

The United States and Saudi Arabia, the facilitators of the latest ceasefire, pointed to “an improvement in respect” for the agreement and stressed that the situation has “improved” since it entered into force on May 24. However, he noted that “the use of military aircraft and individual shootings in Khartoum” were recorded.

“These incidents include the use of artillery, military aircraft and drones, as well as reliable bombing reports, the ongoing clashes in the center of Khartoum’s industrial zone, and the clashes in Zalingei in Darfur,” the joint statement said. Sudanese Embassy.

In this sense, “after the serious violations on 24 May, the facilitators contacted the parties and stated that the resumption of the conflict endangered civilians, hindered the delivery of humanitarian aid, hindered the restoration of basic services, and undermined the functioning of Turkey.” the main objectives of the ceasefire”.

“The parties were warned of new violations and asked to increase respect for the 25 May ceasefire, which they did.”

Therefore, they asked the parties to “continue the positive progress of May 25 through the remainder of this short-term ceasefire and maintain their commitment in the agreement signed on May 11 to guarantee the protection of civilians in Sudan.”

“Both sides must put the needs of the Sudanese people above all else and abide by the terms they agreed on a few days ago. Saudi Arabia and the United States urge the parties to fulfill their obligations under the ceasefire agreement and take the necessary steps. “to facilitate the delivery of humanitarian aid and the restoration of essential services ‘ they added.

Source: Noti Merica

Related articles

Comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share article

Latest articles