MADRID, 26 March (EUROPA PRESS) –
At least three people were killed and four were “seriously injured” when a group of “bandits” opened fire on the private home of a deceased father and his two children in Goma, Congo.
Congolese radio station ‘Radio Okapi’ reported that the state civil society of North Kivu, to which the city belongs, condemned “increased insecurity” and a night without night robberies.
They also attributed the increase in distrust to the militarization of the city, where there is a large presence of soldiers from the Army of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and other countries whose aim is to restore peace in the province.
“There is no shortage of rotten apples among these forces,” state nonprofit Placide Nzilamba said, and assured that the “40 thieves phenomenon” is back, armed gangs broke into homes, so young people organized themselves into self-defense groups.
He also believes that the large number of people displaced in clashes between government troops and rebels around the city contributes to insecurity.
The United Nations had already temporarily suspended humanitarian flights in the eastern DRC city due to increased insecurity due to gunfire and clashes between the Army and March 23 Movement (M23) rebels.
The World Food Program (WFP) told Congolese radio station Radio Okapi that the decision was taken after a helicopter belonging to the UN Humanitarian Air Service (UNHAS) opened fire before landing.
Source: Noti Merica